[X4U] Reporting spam to Apple -- positive experience!

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Fri May 8 11:48:27 PDT 2009

Hi there,

I know that spam is everywhere, and we've all gotten tired of getting it,
and tired of reporting it. I just want to share with you a positive note on
the aspect of reporting it!

This morning, I got an email (obviously a fake because they spelled "Mac" in
all caps -- MAC -- which we know Apple never does!) telling me that my
.Mac/MobileMe account was reaching its capacity, and that I needed to email
my password so that I could be authorized for more storage space. It's
creative, at least, but I knew it was spam.

I forwarded the message, with long headers, to abuse at apple.com and
spam at me.com, and received replies from both of them! I really like the calm,
succinct reply from apple:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for contacting Apple's Product Security Team. Apple takes
> every report of a potential security problem very seriously.
>
> The email message you received did not originate from Apple.
>
> There is no further action needed after deleting the message, Apple
> Legal and Apple Corporate Security have been alerted.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Apple Product Security team
> http://www.apple.com/support/security/

It was nice to hear from them. I'm a bit "jaded" and am so used to hearing
nothing from companies when I forward in spam, that this was a refreshing
bright spot in my day.

Apple does care!

~Linda