[X4U] Intermittent system lock up & MAIL.APP question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sat May 9 10:42:28 PDT 2009

I have been having this issue, I think since I went to 10.4.11.

The problem is that the while unattended the system locks up tighter
than ....
It is also very intermittent. I may go for weeks without issue then
it will hit me twice in one day.
The symptoms: G5 the fans are revved up to their highest speed and
the power saver is in effect. Mail still gets retrieved right up to
the point where the system hangs.
When the mouse or keyboard is moved (or touched) the system does not
come out of power save mode it just sits there. The only solution is
to do a system reboot.
I have running: Ical Hogwasher Safari (sometimes more on that in next
item). Hardware monitor, netware monitor Timbukto pro , iweather,
sometimes Graphic Converter
I thought the problem was related to Safari as the only new thing I
had activated was RSS . I have turned it off and it happened a little
less frequently.

So it seems like I have either a bug in the OS or an application
issue. I have been only rarely sitting at the computer when it has
happened. I was using Graphic Converter at the time but it might have
been innocent, I do not know.

Yes I have tried doing a force but that does not even get
acknowledges as like I said the system is in a TIGHT (what I call
loop) and it seems to uninterruptible as again the power save mode
cannot brighten the screen even.

The small issue is that when this starts email cannot retrieve email
from the server and so some email bounces  because I have a LOT of
email coming in randomly through the day.

i tried not running safari and like I said it has decreased (lock
ups) a little.

My mail.app question/problem comes up only when I am having issues
with the COMCAST ISP. mail tries to send a request to get mail and
then it hangs because the link is down and there is no way to stop
mail cleanly outside of forcing it. Which I hate to do as sometimes
it looses its settings and I have to redo them and it takes about a
day to get it back to the way I want it. is there a away to tell mail
to forget about it and shut down anyway?

Ed