[X4U] OSX and sharewhere programs

John Masters johnmasters at me.com
Sun May 10 01:49:57 PDT 2009

On 8 May 2009, at 05:23, Ed Gould wrote:

> I am sure this not is new issue but I stumbled on it today and was
> curious how others are addressing the issue.
>
> I have purchased a sharewear program so when I tried  to use is on
> another logon it prompted me for a serial number.
>
> This to me is a bit of a folly as I though sharewhere was licensed
> to a cpu. While I cannot follow there legal rules I think common
> sense is that if it prompts each user  for a serial number it seems
> (to me anyway) that you do not want to give the user this type of
> information. So how do individuals and companies handle this
> situation?
>
> Ed

It depends on the license under which the shareware is distributed.
Some vendors allow multiple users on one machine, others allow one
user on multiple machines and many variations of this. It is entirely
up to the vendor. I always look at the license or ask the vendor
before purchasing.

Regards, John
johnmasters at me.com