[X4U] Permissions Question

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Mon May 25 10:17:40 PDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> On May 10, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

>>> Jens I have 2500 files in the receiving folder and 100 GB free on
>>> the drive
>>
>> OK, the finder is a database program. When you drag files into a
>> folder the finder program checks to see if there are any duplicates
>> in the receiving folder. This means that if you are dragging say
>> 100 files the finder needs to check for the possibility of a match
>> on your 2500 existing files 100 times. Hence what you see as no
>> action is just the finder taking a long time to do this compare. If
>> you to wait I believe eventually the copy would start up.
>>

> Jen:
>
> I know that. That is not the issue the issue was permissions. Like
> someone suggested I created another folder and the move was
> successful. I am not sure your analogy is spot on.
> What I also did was to move one file in and it seemed to work
> without issue. I would have expected that if any of the files were
> successful in the first move they would have moved and the
> unsuccessful ones would not. In my case none of them moved. I am at
> a lost to explain why one was successful but when all were tried
> nothing got moved. I do not pretend to understand the finder but it
> did seem inconsistent (I hate inconsistency). What I ended up doing
> was copying the contents of the folder to a new folder and did a
> drag and dropped and of course everything copied. I was able to
> delete the problem folder with no issue I, so I am guessing that the
> folder was not the issue. If it wouldn't delete then I guess it
> makes sense. I wanted to keep the date of the folder to be in sync
> with the other folders but I was not able to. SO I cannot sort by
> date anymore (and get correct view) :(
>
> Ed
>
> ps: has anyone else noted an extremely delay in receiving emails
> from the listserv or is it me?
>
> Seven Cent Deals - Great legacy stuff Great Legacy Pricehttp://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?cat=Seven+Cent+Deal

I am not aware of the exact method the finder uses to store files in
folders. My guess is, based on what you have just provided, that the
links to that particular folder became corrupt, which would explain
why you were having problems.

I believe utilities exist to change the attributes of folders so you
could alter the creation date of the folder.

Also I see you replied to this thread and your reply took over a week
to be posted. Not sure why that would be happening, perhaps someone
else on the list would have knowledge on this?

Jens

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...