[X4U] Permissions Question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu May 14 20:59:50 PDT 2009

On May 10, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

> On May 7, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> On May 5, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:
>>
>>> How many files do you have in the receiving folder?
>>
>> Jens I have 2500 files in the receiving folder and 100 GB free on
>> the drive
>
> OK, the finder is a database program. When you drag files into a
> folder the finder program checks to see if there are any duplicates
> in the receiving folder. This means that if you are dragging say
> 100 files the finder needs to check for the possibility of a match
> on your 2500 existing files 100 times. Hence what you see as no
> action is just the finder taking a long time to do this compare. If
> you to wait I believe eventually the copy would start up.

Jen:

I know that. That is not the issue the issue was permissions. Like
someone suggested I created another folder and the move was
successful. I am not sure your analogy is spot on.
What I also did was to move one file in and it seemed to work without
issue. I would have expected that if any of the files were successful
in the first move they would have moved and the unsuccessful ones
would not. In my case none of them moved. I am at a lost to explain
why one was successful but when all were tried nothing got moved. I
do not pretend to understand the finder but it did seem inconsistent
(I hate inconsistency). What I ended up doing was copying the
contents of the folder to a new folder and did a drag and dropped and
of course everything copied. I was able to delete the problem folder
with no issue I, so I am guessing that the folder was not the issue.
If it wouldn't delete then I guess it makes sense. I wanted to keep
the date of the folder to be in sync with the other folders but I was
not able to. SO I cannot sort by date anymore (and get correct view) :(

Ed

ps: has anyone else noted an extremely delay in receiving emails from
the listserv or is it me?