[X4U] Help re browser functioning

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sat Nov 7 06:10:50 PST 2009

Doug, I've seen a couple of cases recently where a person's Safari or
Firefox bookmarks file has somehow gotten tens of thousands of
duplicate bookmarks with no URLs, and one of these two people told me
that this caused a slowdown in Firefox and Safari.

If you're still having the problem, please look through all of your
bookmarks.  Also check the size of your bookmarks files:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
~/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles.xxxxxxxx.default/places.sqlite

Unless you really do have tens of thousands of bookmarks, the Safari
file should be less than a few hundred KB, and the Firefox file should
be less than a few MB.

Let me know if you need help in doing this, or if find anything
suspicious.

Sincerely,

Jerry Krinock