[X4U] File sharing between users

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Apr 10 09:33:24 PDT 2010

At 19:49 -0500 4/9/10, Michael Winter wrote:
>On the main family Mac, I have my regular account and an "admin"  account. There are times when I'm running under one of the accounts  when I want to access a file in the other. Is there a way to obtain  the kind of file sharing access to the "other" account that I have  when I use file sharing from another computer?
>
>Said another way, if I use file sharing and log into another Mac on  the network I can "connect to" the the user's home directory and  access files. Is there a way to "connect to" another user's home  directory when that user account is on the same computer?
>
>Right now, I have to use fast user switching to log into the other  account, copy what I need to the "Shared" folder, then switch back to  the original account and possibly deal with permissions issues. Then,  since the kids use the same computer, I have to get the file back  where it belongs. It just seems like there should be a more elegant  solution.

The UNIX way of doing things like that is to create a group and make both users members of the group. After that all you need to do is set the group of sharable files and directories to the new group. You might also want to make the new group the main group for each user. That would assign the new group to newly created files.

There is probably a way to do that with the OS X  GUI but I have never learned that.

In Terminal.app it would be the chmod and chgrp tools.

--
--> Give me liberty or give me Obamacare <--