[X4U] I knew it would happen-antiglare screens back

Crandon David tabdave at ca.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 08:30:17 PDT 2010

I knew it would happen. I was really disappointed (as an optometrist)
when Apple jumped on the bandwagon a year or two ago and made their
laptops with glossy screens.

Glossy screens increase glare and whether you realize it or not,
increase the tendency towards eyestrain, tired eye's, headaches, etc.
It was the fashionable thing to do, so Apple switched to them. When
looking at a glossy screen in the showroom, it has a bigger WOW factor.

Well, in the new lineup, an antiglare screen is back! Not sure yet if
it's back to the "matte" type screen or if they are staying with
glass and adding an antireflection coating.

It would be cool if it was a real antireflection coating. AR coatings
for glasses have been vastly improved in the last couple of years to
be antistatic, much more scratch resistant and easier to clean. The
cost may have come down enough for them to be on the huge surface of
a laptop now.

Yeah.

David Crandon, O.D.