[X4U] iPhone -> Mac sync

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sun Apr 25 13:08:07 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Scott Buntin <scott-xlists at scotist.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:56 AM, Xavier Noria wrote:
>
>> The hd of my laptop crashed and got a new one.
>>
>> I have no backup of my iPhone apps or photo Library, but the are safe
>> in the iPhone. Is there a way to do a first sync iPhone -> Mac for
>> those items, to later switch to the normal sync direction?
>
> In my experience, when you first sync a previously used phone to a new Mac, iTunes will a) ask if you want to transfer purchased apps to the Mac, and b) if you want to transfer photos to the Mac.

You're right. The weird thing is that when you clink on the check box
to enable app sync there's a warning saying apps will be replaced with
the ones on your Mac, and if you have none you expect a disaster. The
message you mention appears *later*, when synchronization starts. I
believe that message should go together with the first one.

Since I was unsure I went and downloaded all apps to the new Mac
before sync'ing. If you've purchased application A and go to its page
in the AppStore, even if there's a price there, clicking on the
download button will pop up a message saying that the download is
indeed free because you already purchased that (assuming you're logged
in with the user that bought it of course).

Only then I saw this was not necessary.