[X4U] iTunes splitting album folders

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Wed Aug 25 01:01:40 PDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 12:57 AM, John Drake wrote:

> Having a problem now for a while when if we play/select a song to play outside of iTunes itself, iTunes will create a folder outside of the normal placement (Home/users/User/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) and create a duplicate folder of the album in the IiTunes Folder with only the one song selected to play, should I play another song from the same album (again outside of the iTunes Player) it will end up in the newly created album folder with the first song.
> And so far the only way to clean this up is by physically opening the new and original folders and dragging the out of place songs back to their home folder.
> This also causes a problem when I select one of the songs that is now in it's new home from within iTunes and the alert window pops up telling me it "can't find the song and would I like to locate it".
> DOH, of course I would, but what can I do to keep this from happening in the first place?
> TIA
> Oh and by the way, if I should select one of the lost songs again from outside iTunes it will create a new folder, only now it is in the Music Folder and the process starts from there.

OK, first, why do you care where the files are? As you can see, moving them means iTunes can't find them…

If you don't want iTunes to copy files when you add them to your library, then there's an option for that in the Advanced preferences.

Kirk

Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html