[X4U] beaucoup problems with Office 08 on G4 running 10.4.11

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Aug 25 16:37:17 PDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 12:14 PM, stephen e. schwartz wrote:

> I installed Office 08 and cannot get Word 08 to work. The app quits
> at the least provocation, e.g. opening a Word X for mac document
> that I had previously saved, especially if it has any graphics in
> it. Sometimes a simple paste will make the app quit.
>
> It has a long list of fonts, but if I select times it gives me
> American Typewriter.

Sounds like a font conflict.
Use Font Book (in your Applications folder) to both Validate Fonts
(and repair them)
and to Resolve Duplicates.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2509
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=FontBook/2.2/en/5285.html

It is also possible that you have conflicting preferences files left
over from an older version of Word:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/Word2008Issues.html#LaunchCrash

Here is an excellent site for troubleshooting problems with Word:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/TroubleshootingIndex.html

See especially here:
http://word.mvps.org/mac/Diagnose.html
under "Unexpected quit on startup."