[X4U] Home Server Question

Dave 69abel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 07:48:23 PST 2010

Neil,

I appreciate your interest in SLS, but OS X Server is difficult to work with unless you are very comfortable in Terminal. Apple's documentation is severely lacking, and while the server admin tools look pretty, they only let you make mistakes. To fix the mistakes, you often have to manually edit files (got root?), and then you can't reliably use the admin tools again, because they don't always read the files, rather they read their own plists. DNS is but one example. So many services require correct DNS settings, but the admin tool...

So my point is that you will want to have a machine that you can wipe when you are experimenting and get it messed-up. And it will get messed-up. Why not get a new Mini w/DVD and external storage (Drobo!) for your media centre, and use your old G4 Mini as the test server and run Leopard server? SLS is very similar so the knowledge will be transferable. Just make a clone of your server before you tinker with it!

Dave
(another Mac consultant who has already been down this road)