[X4U] Home Server Question

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Feb 1 16:28:07 PST 2010

Dave . . .thanks for the comments . . .I'm comfortable with Terminal so that wouldn't really be an issue for me. My thinking was that as I'm starting to draw down on full time work and build up my consulting business some more that knowing Server better might be a good idea. Point taken though . . .there will be mistakes and my wife won't appreciate "Honey, I have to nuke the file server again" at all. From a home server standpoint . . .regular Snow Leopard does just fine.

Combining that and the fact that nobody so far has asked me to work on Server for them . . .understandable considering my customer base . . .I've pretty much discounted going that route and will think I'll just use the mini with regular Snow Leopard for the entertainment center and file server.

Grabbing a used copy of Leopard Server for the mini might be just the trick . . .that would give me the benefit of getting smarter while doing the experimenting on a machine that doesn't mind getting reloaded/recloned as necessary.

You're the third person that has recommended the Drobo for media storage . . .but I'm a bit concerned about the noise level out in the entertainment center from running that many drives. Stuffing it inside the center helps with that . . .but then there's the heat buildup issue. In addition; so far there won't be all that much media to store; so my idea was to just hang a TB sized drive off the back (that still has heat/noise issues . . .but it's only one drive instead of four).

Thanks for the ideas.

On Feb 1, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Dave wrote:

> So my point is that you will want to have a machine that you can wipe when you are experimenting and get it messed-up. And it will get messed-up. Why not get a new Mini w/DVD and external storage (Drobo!) for your media centre, and use your old G4 Mini as the test server and run Leopard server? SLS is very similar so the knowledge will be transferable. Just make a clone of your server before you tinker with it!

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil