[X4U] Firewire Drive Recommendations?

Neil lists at mac.com
Tue Feb 9 10:07:16 PST 2010

Another disadvantage of the Drobo is that  the drives are unreadable
except by Drobos.   So, if the enclosure fails, you are locked out of
your data until you get another Drobo.  If a regular FW enclosure
fails, you can always just put your drive in any other case or
computer and you are back in business.   Also, keep in mind that when
you have more drives, you increase the chance that you will have a
drive failure.   So, a regular FW enclosure like the one from OWC that
Neil recommended would be more simple.

I bought an eight bay FW 800 case for $600 last year on eBay.  The
seller was superldg, but the only multi-bay FW 800 cases I see there
now are for IDE drives.

http://stores.ebay.com/Superldg-Store

If you want a multi-bay NAS solution, consider unraid:

http://www.macworld.com/article/146120/2010/02/unraid_server.html?lsrc=rss_main