[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 10 14:03:52 PST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> Nonsense. Its more than ready. Its not SL's fault if there are some
> applications out there that require ancient obsoletel (i.e. Apple
> talk) technology ...

that is one viewpoint. However, most people don't buy a Mac so that
they can stare at it and drool, basking in the glow of how cool it
might be in theory.

Most people buy a Mac to do real work. So, if an OS "breaks" a bunch
of apps, that doesn't make the OS "modern" and the broken apps
"obsolete."

It simply means that the new OS is not production-ready. Apple itself
has essentially admitted that Snow Leopard will have to evolve over
time, as any OS or revision does.

What makes the most sense to me, and what I have done is this: create
a Snow Leopard parition, and continue to have partitions for other OS
X versions in which everything works. As Snow updaters are released.
and application revisions are released, you can add them over time
and end up with a functional, production-ready install.

Not one that's mostly ready, or "ready in theory," if only all the
other developers would simply snap-to and fix their apps to work with
Snow.

zc