[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Feb 10 15:26:53 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, zapcat wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Nonsense. Its more than ready. Its not SL's fault if there are some
>> applications out there that require ancient obsoletel (i.e. Apple talk)
>> technology ...
>

> that is one viewpoint. However, most people don't buy a Mac so that they can
> stare at it and drool, basking in the glow of how cool it might be in theory.
>
> Most people buy a Mac to do real work. So, if an OS "breaks" a bunch of apps,
> that doesn't make the OS "modern" and the broken apps "obsolete."
>
> It simply means that the new OS is not production-ready. Apple itself has
> essentially admitted that Snow Leopard will have to evolve over time, as any
> OS or revision does.
>
> What makes the most sense to me, and what I have done is this: create a Snow
> Leopard parition, and continue to have partitions for other OS X versions in
> which everything works. As Snow updaters are released. and application
> revisions are released, you can add them over time and end up with a
> functional, production-ready install.
>
> Not one that's mostly ready, or "ready in theory," if only all the other
> developers would simply snap-to and fix their apps to work with Snow.

Personally my view is that any company that removes major subsystems from
their OS that a significant portion of thier user base relies on, such as
Appletalk or Classic support they are shooting themselves in the foot.  Users
that have been around long enough to rely on such features tend to be the
more loyal users, and also tend to not react well.  Honestly the only thing
keeping me on Mac OS X is Adobe.  Otherwise I'd be more than happy to tell
Steve Jobs where he can stick his OS.  If I wasn't so dependent on Adobe
Photoshop, I'd be more than happy to move back to Linux (it was my primary
OS before buying my first Mac in '95).

Zane