[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 11 07:55:54 PST 2010

At 1:27 AM -0600 2/11/10, Eugene wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 04:54:34PM CST, zapcat <zapcat at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>
>>  No need to get worked up, John. I am not saying that SL is a
>>  steaming pile, simply that it is for some, not production-ready.
>
>For some users who use certain apps or rely on certain functions, 10.6
>may NEVER be production-ready.  You can cherrypick any talking point to
>support any argument (e.g. my production equipment uses PowerMac G5s,
>Snow Leopard doesn't run on anything PowerPC, ergo Snow Leopard is not
>production ready).

You know, this is one of the most sensible statements I've heard in
this thread.

On the question of "Production Ready" I have two concerns, one is
that both 10.5 and 10.6 shipped with serious data loss bugs.  The
other is I could swear Apple promised that they were done mucking
about with the API's in 10.5 and that there wouldn't be compatibility
issues in 10.6.  Or are these compatibility problems I've heard about
related to dropping PPC support?

>  > Some Blender users (and myself) are not 100% sure that Blender 2.49a
>>  and SL play nicely together. I've seen a couple of wierd things
>>  which do not happen in Leopard.
>[...]
>>  I've also found Inkscape to be a little wierd. It could be X11
>>  itself, tho. The wierd things I've seen don't happen in regular
>>  leopard.
>
>The problem with these apps is that they are open-source projects that
>no one is working on full-time.  But in the open source world, if you
>don't like how it's working, you are welcome to contribute code and fix
>it yourself.  That may be a problem if you're not a coder, but the open
>source community rejects that as a poor excuse for not learning to code.
>If either project was financially supported through some commercial
>support structure, maybe they could hire some full-time developers to
>keep the code updated through OS releases.
>
>Of course, lack of support is one the costs of relying on free products
>in your commercial workflow.

Honestly, if these are the apps someone is running, I have to
question why they're not running on Linux.  I find that opensource
apps tend to run best on Linux.

I really wish Apple would have sense enough to release an emulator
for those of us that need to run old software.  I don't like the idea
that the only solutions in that area *ARE* opensource.  Honestly a
good commercial emulator would smooth over all of my complaints.

Zane