[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 11 09:55:07 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Eugene wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:55:54AM CST, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I really wish Apple would have sense enough to release an emulator
>> for those of us that need to run old software.  I don't like the
>> idea that the only solutions in that area *ARE* opensource.
>> Honestly a good commercial emulator would smooth over all of my
>> complaints.
>
> What about running multiple versions of OS X on a single box via
> virtualization?  Does Parallels stuff, like Server or Bare Metal,
> do this?  I saw nothing from VMWare that does this for OS X.

I don't know if any of the virtualization software will allow this.  Yet now
you're touching on where I will see a *REAL* benefit when I *finally*
upgrade.  I have a second box sitting on my desk, it is a pretty nice Core 2
Duo system that dual boots WinXP Pro, and Ubuntu Linux.  Once I move to a
new Mac Pro, I intend to run either Parallels or VMWare so that I can run
both via Virtualization.  I will finally have the Mac I've been dreaming
about since reading about it back in '95! :-)

Do either of those solutions allow you to throttle the virtual machines
running under them?  If so I can setup a Linux instance specifically to run
a VAX emulator, and retire yet another system.

BTW, I had planned up upgrading to a new Mac Pro last summer, but that
didn't work out due to other expenses.  I'm not on a 6+ year old G5 because
I choose to be.

Zane