[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Fri Feb 12 11:30:42 PST 2010

Hi,

> Actually this works for me, as it would keep me from pegging a single core.  I could have a *LOT* of fun with this. :-)  Though the other issue would be how it  (and what I'd be running) would handle sharing the NIC.  I am crazy enough I'd love to have TOPS-20, OpenVMS, RSX-11M+, and RSTS/E all running on the same system under emulators running on Linux on separate VM's. :-)

VM fusion (and I am sure the others are similar) offer various options on how their VMs connect to the network

1. NAT : In this mode the VM just shares the host machine's connection. This mode has the advantage that once your mac is connected, your VM is by default - It just sees a generic 'wired' dhcp connection. If your machine is a laptop, and you use a lot of different networks with different settings (like I do) this is by far the most convenient since the VM just piggy backs on the host's network settings.

2. Bridged. In this mode the VM connects direct to the network, as though it where a distinct physical machine. This mode has the advantage that your VM appears on your network just like any other machine. It has its own IP address so can be connected to directly (which is something NAT mode does not really give you). The down side is you have to configure each VM networking separately for each network you connect to. If your machine is a desktop and only ever connected to one network, no big deal, but a bit of a pain on a mobile laptop.

3. Host only, which lets your VM connect to the host (for shared disks etc.) but no further afield.

All of these make sense in certain situations. Each VM can be configured separately, so if you want one can use option 1, others 2 etc. Very flexible.

I'm sure you can find some combination that works best for you...

Chris