[X4U] The production price of an iPad

H F pantry at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 12 23:31:52 PST 2010

> From: zapcat at speakeasy.net
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:20:02 -0800
> To: x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
> Subject: Re: [X4U] The production price of an iPad
>

> On Feb 12, 2010, at 2:19 PM, T.L. Miller wrote:
>
>> I wonder if their estimates includes the profit for the company that
>> makes it for Apple.
>>
>> Of course, a lot of Apple's R&D went into the design and
>> engineering of
>> the iPad. It's not all profit.
>

> Aside from their R&D expenses, there's something else at work against
> apple in the public perception of how much things ought to cost.
>
> and that is the notion that everything should be of top quality but
> should have the lowest price possible. No concern over how or why the
> price can BE low...
>
> ...such as in the case of offloading the slave labor onto another
> country. That helps lower prices.

I am in no way in favor of policies that encourage businesses to offload their labor to other countries that have cheaper labor largely due to the fact that they would not meet most of our labor/environmental laws...but I can see that one of the benefits of doing so is the reduction in foreign aide. I like that the money goes in some degree to the masses and not the graftocracy (at least I'd like to think that is what is happening.)

 Or, using cheap parts, lousy