[X4U] Seeking help with remote printing

Jim Colgate colgatelist at cox.net
Sun Feb 21 13:16:57 PST 2010

Here is the situation: My out of town parents are basically computer
illiterate, but they do have broad band cable internet service with a
wireless router and wireless printer for the kids to use when they
come to visit. Mom calls me a few times a month to have me look up
something on the internet, and then I either package up the data and
mail it to them (slow) or try to communicate the info over the phone.

What I would like to do:  I would like to have them turn on the
printer and then I would print out the information from my computer
for them on their printer.

I think I will have to open up some ports on their router and point
them to their printer  -- just not sure which ports and anything else.

Then how do I point my computer to their printer for output?

Hardware/software Configurations:

Parents:
   Bresnan ISP and modem
   IP via DHCP
   Linksys Wireless Router providing NAT
   HP Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer

Mine:
   Cox ISP
   Motorola Modem
   IP via DHCP
   Time Capsule Wireless Router providing NAT
   iMac running 10.5.8

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Jim