[X4U] iPad news

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Thu Jan 28 13:18:26 PST 2010

That's what I get . . .although it could exist independently of a Mac and just be the only device . . .syncing with MobileMe and thence to an iPhone maybe.

I wonder if it will be a uni-person device or have a mode where it can be a family device . . .so that each person could log in and get their email. That would increase desirability for a family . . .but might influence sale of 1 where a uni-device might sell 2 or more to a family. Most families won't buy more than one anyway I wouldn't guess . . .but you never know.

OTOH, maybe the iPhone OS doesn’t have the ability to have more than one user . . .although one would think it could in theory since it's based on Mac OS X . . .but since it's clearly being positioned as an appliance and not a computer I could also see Apple leaving that capability out.

I'm surprised there isn't an iSight in it . . .given the size of the one in a MacBook Pro it can't really be a space issue so it must have been a deliberate omission. Too bad . . .video iChat seems like a natural for a media and personal communication oriented device.

They'll sell a ton of them though . . .particularly at the 499 price. For a lot of people 16 GB will be plenty of room and they'l skip the data plan . . .although at 15 or 30 bucks a month it's not really an onerous monthly fee.

On Jan 28, 2010, at 3:12 PM, Jesse Leo wrote:

> But wait, I think I'm missing one important point - doesn't the iPad need to be "married" to (and sync with) a Mac in the same way that an iPhone or iPod does? So it really could never replace a Mac, just compliment one - correct?

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil