[X4U] iPad news

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Jan 28 13:36:10 PST 2010

At 4:18 PM -0500 1/28/10, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>I wonder if it will be a uni-person device or have a mode where it
>can be a family device . . .so that each person could log in and get
>their email. That would increase desirability for a family . . .but
>might influence sale of 1 where a uni-device might sell 2 or more to
>a family. Most families won't buy more than one anyway I wouldn't
>guess . . .but you never know.

My guess is single user.  Though honestly, I'd be checking my email
on this via the Web or ssh most likely.  Which brings up an
interesting question from my standpoint, does it offer an ssh client?

This device comes real close to being something I would buy and use.
For me the major issue is the lack of a USB port.  Forget this
nonsense of a docking port connector, give it a USB connection!  Let
me plug in a flash drive, or card reader.  More importantly let me
control a DSLR from it.  As it stands, I'm better off spending that
$500 on a cheap PC Notebook.  Shoot, I can get one of those for
$3-400 that will do what I need, and a lot more, except I don't want
the headache of supporting a Windows laptop.  Apple needs to stop
this BS of restricting the usability of devices!

Zane