[X4U] Old Software (was: iPad news)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jan 30 10:12:08 PST 2010

At 11:50 AM -0500 1/30/10, T.L. Miller wrote:
>On 1/30/10, at 8:28 AM, Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com said:
>
>>It kind of makes you think there is a market out there for simple
>>WYSIWYG web editors.  While I have Creative Suite Premium 3, and
>>therefore Dreamweaver CS3, I'd be seriously inclined to pay extra for
>>something offering the functionality of PageMill/SiteMill.
>
>Sometimes when I use Dreamwaver CS3 to open a page I created in Claris
>Home Page, the page is screwed up. I use the Composer function of
>Netscape 7.2 to get it right.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I've opened up any pages
done in PageMill 3 in DreamWeaver CS3 that weren't edited in GoLive
CS first.

>  >Personally I'd like to see someone release a nice slick seamless
>  >emulation package for Mac OS X 10.6+ that allows us to run our old
>>apps that no longer work.  Something better than the two emulators
>>currently available.
>
>I guess Sheep Shaver should work, but I kept my 12" AlBook running 10.4,
>so I could run Claris Home Page in Classic, if necessary.

I wish I had a PPC based laptop that would run either System 8, or
Mac OS 9.  I passed on a great deal on piece of old Camera gear
recently, not stopping to factor in the value of the laptop that was
included.  I was simply thinking of the price of the camera gear,
which was more than I wanted to pay. :-(

Odds are I'll make do with Sheep Shaver.  Basically I need to run
ClarisDraw, Master of Orion, and Warlords 2.  Realistically that
means System 8, as I don't believe Warlords 2 ran right on 8.6 (which
is what my G4/450 shipped with).  For those apps, I'd almost be ahead
reviving my 8500/180, and it's smaller than the G4.  I have a fairly
complex application I wrote that won't run on System 8, so 7.5 or 7.6
would be a good target for me (though I can run it on my PowerBook
540c).

Zane