[X4U] July 27 Hardware Announcements!

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 27 18:01:50 PDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> It's been over 510 days, and honestly after that wait I'm feeling a
> little underwhelmed. :-(  I'll be getting a new Mac Pro (or a
> refurb), I can't wait any longer, but I had hoped for more, and I
> wasn't expecting a price jump on the 8-core model. :-(

well..my guess is that they need to squeeze out as much profit from
"Nehalems" as they can before obsoleting them with some new chip.

If you decide to go with a refurb 2009, I am pretty sure you'll be
happy. IIRC, you do a lot of Photoshop work. I do, too, plus video
and 3D and I don't find myself wanting for speed, especially in apps
which are designed to harness multiple cores.

Which is another hairball...Adobe likes to get its money for each
upgrade along the way. Not all companies do that, but Adobe does,
so..ok.

Are all of adobe's apps multiple core savvy? Are they getting less
buggy?

ouchie-woo! I know that mega-software corpz don't like to talk much
about how buggy their warez are..

At any rate, I will raise a frosty beverage in your direction when
the day arrives and you receive your new machine, Zane.

cheers!

zc