[X4U] July 27 Hardware Announcements!

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 27 17:16:52 PDT 2010

At 2:20 PM -0700 7/27/10, zapcat wrote:
>Frankly, I am very glad I bought my 8-core 2.26 ghz Nehalem from the
>Apple refurb site a year this month.
>
>Saved a pile of dough, and it's plenty fast enough for me.
>
>Zane, if I were you, I'd look for one of those, too, but you know
>best what you want.

Trust me, after this announcement, I'm a bit more open to that idea!
I started thinking about it about as soon as I saw what they're
offering.  I need hard details though in order to make an informed
decision.  It doesn't help I found out Sunday that I have to pay $800
instead of $600 to upgrade my Adobe Software because I bypassed CS4.
>:-(  I didn't need it, and didn't think this G5 could really handle
it.

>I know that I am wierd, but I'm tired of constantly new product
>coming out, but that is the prevailing "business model."

It's been over 510 days, and honestly after that wait I'm feeling a
little underwhelmed. :-(  I'll be getting a new Mac Pro (or a
refurb), I can't wait any longer, but I had hoped for more, and I
wasn't expecting a price jump on the 8-core model. :-(

Part of my problem is my RAM requirements, with 7GB, I'm RAM starved.
I'm also cash poor, so need to get the most life possible out of any
system I get (this one should have been replaced about the time it
hit 5 years old, it's nearly 7).

Does anyone know if the GPU acceleration feature in Photoshop work
with ATI cards?  I think I've seen where they require an Nvidia card.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |