[X4U] New Mac Pro's and FW400

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Jul 27 21:40:02 PDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> In looking at the new Mac Pro one of the things that I quickly
> noticed is that they totally lack FW400 ports.  Well, I only have
> one FW800 device, my Drobo.  OTOH, I have several FW400 devices
> (including a Camcorder, a Canopus ADVC-50, and a Firewire Audio
> box). Should I simply get a cable to plug them into the computer,
> or would I be better off buying a PCI-Express like the Allegro
> FW400 PCIe?

FireWire 800 is fully backwards compatible with FireWire 400 devices
(though the devices will only run at FW400 speeds, of course).

So you will be fine using a "bilingual" cable such as this one:

6-foot, 9-pin to 6-pin BILINGUAL FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Cable
$4.88
http://is.gd/5rXJD

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance