[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Wed Jun 16 14:36:48 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 2:49 PM, zapcat wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:
>
>> What is everyone think is the chance that we'll see a refresh on the Mac Pro line?
>>

> no clue. some times I look at this site:  http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
>
> but in reading your post, it sounds like your most pressing need is
>
> 1.Screen "real estate" and
>
> 2. RAM
>
> My reading is that a Mac Pro offers little advantage over, say, an iMac in 2D/print work. There are some who feel they need every last gram of computer muscle, so they flip for the 2 or 3-times more expensive kit.
>
> I went MP last year because I do 3D, and that activity is all about maxing your ghz/dollar ratio.
>
> Some of my print clients happily bang out their weekly pubs on G4 Mac Minis with 1 gig sticks.
>
> these are some things to consider when evaluating how much you'll spend and what it'll actually get you.

I guess I'll need to determine how important being able to run more than 2 monitors is as a selling point for the MacPro I'm considering, because, truthfully, even the little Mac mini is enough horse power for most of our stuff, especially the new one since it economically supports up to 8GB of RAM.

As far as old Macs, I know of a publisher in a small Nebraska town that still has a Mac Plus on active duty for their weekly publication.

Joe