[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 16 15:01:16 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> I guess I'll need to determine how important being able to run more
> than 2 monitors is as a selling point for the MacPro I'm
> considering, because, truthfully, even the little Mac mini is
> enough horse power for most of our stuff, especially the new one
> since it economically supports up to 8GB of RAM.
>
> As far as old Macs, I know of a publisher in a small Nebraska town
> that still has a Mac Plus on active duty for their weekly publication.
>
> Joe

based on the comments above, I'd say the prudent thing would be to:

1. stick with the rig you have and

2. look for new mac minis to show up on apple's Refurb site.

I say this as a person who has as much techno-lust as the next guy. I
looked long and hard before pulling the trigger on an 8-core MP last
year and the *only* thing that made me go Mac Pro rather than Mac
Mini or iMac was the need for a higher ghz/dollar ratio required for
3D than either Mac Mini or iMac could provide.

regardless of bench tests on doom, or photoshop, or watching movies
or ripping iTunes. Last year's Mini would have done me just as well
as the MP I bought if my work were only 2D, plus I'd be richer by $2000.

if I weren't doing 3D, there'd be either the entry level iMac or
another Mini on my shelf right next to the G4 ones I have now and
still use.

and if I had to make the call right now, with your set of needs, I
might go with an iMac with its larger display right out of the box,
plus its ability to run a 2nd monitor. Not sure if the new mini can
run 2 heads or not ..perhaps others can clarify.

zc