[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Wed Jun 16 20:45:50 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 10:14 PM, zapcat wrote:

> Having some array of multiple large monitors sounds like overkill to me.
>
> you figure the Mac Pro will cost you $3K. Factor in RAM. FC Studio is I think about a thousand; FCE is in the 300 range, and there is no upgrade path to FCP*, so you might want to think about how serious you're going to get about video before committing.
>
> So, rough numbers, you're in it for about $5K so far, not counting monitors. When I think about money like that, I get a little dizzy and woozy.
>
> ;-)

As you all seem to like to say on this list "YMMV". Compare that $5,000 for a decked out MacPro vs $15,000-$20,000 or more for automated pagination systems and the MacPro with an array of monitors doesn't seem so bad. Besides, if I end up with too many monitors, I have some Mac minis and iMacs whom users would appreciate a dual monitor setup that any excess from the MacPro can be recycled to. The reason I started this thread, is that the $2500 base model for the Mac Pro occasionally shows up at $2149 in the refurbished section of Apple's online store. I've been hoping that a MacPro refresh would knock a few more slightly older models at an even lower price, into the refurbished bargain bin. I like buying refurbished Macs - I've never had any problems with them, plus I like to take the money I save by going refurbished and use it to put in even more RAM.

Joe