[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 16 22:49:44 PDT 2010

At 10:45 PM -0500 6/16/10, Joe Sporleder wrote:
>As you all seem to like to say on this list "YMMV". Compare that
>$5,000 for a decked out MacPro vs $15,000-$20,000 or more for
>automated pagination systems and the MacPro with an array of
>monitors doesn't seem so bad. Besides, if I

Does your page layout software support multiple monitors?  Are you
using Adobe InDesign, or something else.  Honestly I think I grasp
what you're talking about, but am having a little trouble wrapping my
mind around it! :-)  The thought of 8 monitors on one system really
blows my mind.  I used to work on tactical systems with dual monitor
configs, and that was bad enough.  I've seriously considered two
monitors for my next Mac (I'd love the photo on one monitor and
everything else on a 2nd), but will likely go with a single 24-27"
screen.  Besides the one reason I'm really looking forwards to
getting off of 10.4.11 is for the virtual desktops, that is a feature
I've used for nearly 20 years on my UNIX workstations.

>Apple's online store. I've been hoping that a MacPro refresh would
>knock a few more slightly older models at an even lower price, into
>the refurbished bargain bin. I like buying refurbished Macs - I've
>never had any problems with them, plus I like to take the money I
>save by going refurbished and use it to put in even more RAM.

I must confess this is an idea I've had rattling around in my mind.
I'm not opposed to buying a Refurb 2009 Mac Pro when the new model
comes out if it makes sense.  It will be interesting to see what the
eventual refresh looks like.  Honestly I hope we see more than simply
a upgrade to the processors and video, I'd like to see an upgrade to
the external I/O, maybe something like eSATA, Multilane, or USB3.0,
though I fear that I'm dreaming when it comes to the first two.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |