[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 17 07:41:04 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> As you all seem to like to say on this list "YMMV". Compare that
> $5,000 for a decked out MacPro vs $15,000-$20,000 or more for
> automated pagination systems and the MacPro with an array of
> monitors doesn't seem so bad.

forgive me, Joe, if I completely mis-understand the task of putting
out a shopper, but $15,000 software to put out a 24-page weekly
sounds to me like using a Howtizer to smack a skeeter.

Even a Mac Pro with an array of monitors seems like overkill for the
task as I understand it. I have worked on 1200-page catalogs with
just yer basic Mac, a 17" monitor and QuarkXPress. The page density
ranged from a few items per page all the way to something about as
dense as classifieds. There was talk of spending $3K for some Quark
doo-dad, but it was decided not worth the money, and this was on a
catalog whose budget was in the $1.2 million range.

Naturally, if you want to get the rig you describe and have the dough
to fund it, then by all means go for it, but if you're asking about
what your job *needs* then I'd let that inform the buy decision.

If you go with the blown-out Mac Pro with 8 monitors, then..have fun!
I'm sure it'll be amazing to work on it.

zc