[X4U] 8GB RAM in Mac mini?

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Fri May 14 17:21:40 PDT 2010

We have 8GB of RAM on test with a current Mac Mini Server. It booted fine, which was a relief. And we have been testing it the past few days to see if there are any problems we can spot.

We will be using 2 Mac Minis Servers, both with 8GB RAM, hooked via iSCSI to a Drobo Elite. The operating systems will be Snow Leopard Client running Parallels 5 and a bunch of virtual machines (stored on the Drobo) split between the 2 MMS boxes. The ideas is that the load is divided, but if 1 MMS fails, it's easy to restart the remaining VMs on the other MMS.

My searching intimated that any MMS will run 8GB of RAM. Along with the current batch of nVidia 9400 Mac Mini Clients. With the earlier machines, it seems that as long as your 9400 nVidia Mac Mini has the 1.2 firmware update, it should be fine.

As always, don't buy cheap RAM. It never works well in Apple boxes. We are using Team Elite for our testing and it seems to work great. I would expect that any Brand Name RAM should be OK but YMMV!

Regards,

cjc