[X4U] Mac internet Nanny software options

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 6 05:17:44 PDT 2010

Hiya,

I think it was some time last year that there was a discussion on this list regarding the options of Nanny-type software for limiting your home network computers from accessing internet sites of ill-repute. I think the final outcome was basically that kids will always find ways around it.

That being said, I'd rather put up some kind of a fence than place an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.

I'd like to ask a further clarifying question on this subject. Am I right in thinking that if I don't have a proxy server of some kind with the filter software running on it (which is not something I'd like to have to manage, including the cost/footprint/power consumption of an extra computer) then each Mac/PC has to have the software loaded and the user account it is running under would have to be limited to basic User only, otherwise they could just go in and turn it off, right?

I'm thinking about my kid's Macs (10.5) and giving them internet access but want them to be protected in some way. If I restrict the user account to a basic user, then any software being installed and changes to System Preferences would have to require an admin password. I'm not sure my son, in particular, would cope with that.

Is there a workable solution I could look into?

Our setup is mostly laptops connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme (8011b/g) which connects to a cable modem.

Ta muchly!

Cojcolds