[X4U] Airport Express/iMac/iPad network issues

Andrew Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 11:50:36 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,
  I'm a little confused by this statement:

"I got for a few days now a "Self-assigned IP address" message when I select
the Airport Extreme in our iMac to use it to connect the iPad 3G."

My ipad connects directly to the airport extreme, without interaction with
my iMac.  Can you perhaps rephrase your statement?

Are you setting the LAN address of the airport to 192.168.0.1, or the WAN
address?  You probably need to leave the WAN address alone, that address
should come from your internet provider.

I don't have my setup in front of me, but, in a nutshell, My internet
service provider (ISP) uses DHCP to provide a WAN address to my airport
extreme.  My airport extreme in turn uses DHCP to provide LAN addresses to
the devices inside my network.  Each device is set to use DHCP to get an ip
address.

So, try to answer these questions:
1) Where does your airport get it's WAN (outside address)?
2) What is your airport's LAN (inside) address?
3) Is your airport extreme set to provide DHCP addresses to the devices
inside your network?
3) Are your inside devices set to use DHCP to get addresses?

Clue: LAN addresses usually start with 192.168. or 10.0.
Clue2: The airport extreme has a WAN address and a LAN address. It's LAN
address is usually 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1.  The WAN address is assigned by
your ISP.
Clue3: Two devices on the same network cannot have the same address.  For
example, if your Airport Extreme's LAN address is 192.168.0.1, your ipad and
imac should use 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 (or some other address on the
same 192.168.0. subnet).

Clear as mud I'm sure......

Good Luck,
  Drew