[X4U] Airport Express/iMac/iPad network issues

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Tue Oct 12 17:11:35 PDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> No problem with the iMac.  I can use DHCP for the net and get an 84... IP.
> Can I use that external Base Station to use it with the iPad?  It's 89 euro here.
>
> Paul Moortgat
>
> On 13 Oct 2010, at 01:13, Jeff Carruthers wrote:
>

>> On Oct 12, 2010, at 5:38 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> I need to select the Airport option in Network if I want to use Wifi on the iPad.  It used to work until a few days ago.  It's an iPad 3G+Wifi.
>>> The Airport Extreme is a card inside the iMac.  Unfortunately I can't send screen dumps to this group.  I can send them to you off line.
>>> I also use DHCP but the address starts with 169....  Renew doesn't help.
>>> 1) Where do I find the airport's WAN?
>>> 2) The airport's LAN is 00:1c:c2:a4:40:09  (or is this wrong?)
>>> 3) Yes
>>> 4) Yes
>>>
>>> Paul Moortgat
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Paul: how is your iMac connecting to the Internet?
>>
>> The most likely problem is that you don't have an active connection to the internet, either because of a problem with your ISP, your router, the modem your router is connected to (for cable or DSL) or the ethernet cable.
>>
>> Also, there may be some confusion about terminology. The iMac's internal wifi card is called an Airport Express, but there's a mini-Airport basestation that goes by the same name and is an external device that plugs into the wall and connects to a router. I'm assuming you are not using the external airport express.
>>
>> Jeff
Paul: you could buy an external airport base station for the iPad to connect to, but I shouldn't think it was necessary.

If your iMac has access to the internet via an ethernet cable connection, then go to Sharing in System Preferences, and check Internet Sharing, with Share your connection from Ethernet to computers using Airport. Be sure that you have both Ethernet and Airport active in your Network tab and that Show Airport status in menu bar is checked,

Then, on your iPad, under settings, select WiFi and make sure that Wi-Fi is On and Ask to Join Networks is On.

If everything is working, your Airport status on your iMac should switch from the normal WiFi upside-down pyramid with signal bars to one with a gray one with an arrow pointing up inside it. If this symbol isn't showing, then internet sharing via airport is not enabled; uncheck and check Internet sharing and it should work.

 This is the set-up I use for my iPad; the iPad automatically selects my iMac's shared airport network and connects to the internet via the iMac's connection.

By the way, in my iMac Network set up, Airport is showing as having a self-assigned IP address 169... That is not a problem in and of itself.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)