[X4U] Sorry, long worded email but I am at a road bloack as to what trouble shooting I should do next...

LAL lazilicata at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:40:24 PDT 2011

Hi!

I tried searching this problem with Google w/o success.
I am running a 17" G4 Mac, 10.5.8, all system software up to date less
iTunes.
I have been having lots of problems when restarting / shutting down
from my main account.
(I do not seem to have a problem with a virgin account that I create
and test from , but since the problem is not always, I am not 100%
sure.)
With just Finder running, I hit the power button, or select from the
menu, the option to restart / shutdown, and the process starts, the
display changes to my background only, then my  computer hangs. I have
to hold the power button down for seconds to force the machine off.
I have reset PRAM, PMU, and NVRAM more than once.
I have removed and reinstalled both 1 GB memory modules more than once.
I have also removed all power, the battery, and held the power button
down for more than 60 seconds (looked at my watch).
If I run "Cocktail" and have it automatically restart / shutdown, it
USUALLY restarts / shutdowns but not always.
If I start up in single user mode and run "AppleJack" through all of
its options, including deep clean, sometimes this fixes the problem
for one or two cycles, but not permanently.
If I force quit Process Name "loginwindow" via Activity Monitor, all
my programs running quit and my login window with my 3 accounts that I
have all pops up and if I restart or  shutdown from this screen, I
have never had a hang. I have deleted the preference file associated
with this process but the problem remains.

During single user startup, I get the following two messages on the
screen that seem to indicate a problem (from my system log):

<localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleMacRISC2PE" has
immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi
components; use only one style.?

and a little later:

< localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePMU" has
immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi
components; use only one style.>

So, using "EasyFinder" I search for invisible files and folders with a
name "apple.kernel" and "apple.kpi" and there is NO "apple.kpi" file
found but a system /library/cache folder with the name "apple.kernel"
and  kext file with the same name are found. If I search for
"applePMU, I find a folder with the same name and a kext file with the
same same in the same system /library/cache folder.

The creation date for the "apple.kernel" folder indicates that at some
point in the last three days, it was created new but how, i do not
know. Google search results tells me that I can safely delete this
cache file and it will be recreated but since it is new, and the
problem has been running for a time longer than it was created, I see
no reason to delete it. And, per Google, deleting this problem seems
to help solve a problem with "dmg" images not mounting, which I am not
experiencing.

I have repaired disc permissions some many times it hurts, and I
routinely see that some files have a "locked disc permissions" which i
cannot ever seem to get repaired. I also see line items that says that
an ACL was found which was unexpected, but have NOT a clue what that
means, nor when I search for an ACL in the folder where the alert says
one was found, I see nothing. (I am also looking at the invisible
files and folders when i do this.)

I have done two clean installs on this Mac. the second one after
reformatting my hard drive (60 GB, new in 2005, installed by Apple
after the original one failed.). I reinstalled all that I wanted from
original discs or images with the exception of Apple's Mail folder
which I brought over the pref files and the email folders, just
becausse I was too lasy to start that from scratch.

I am using "istat menu.app" and did notice the following in my console
log:

<iStat Menus exception in cpu - *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index
(0) beyond bounds (0)
iStat Menus exception in cpu - setup module at index - 0 >

But, I have been using this app (latest version I am on is 3.16) for
years without this problem so since this is a recent problem, I am
discounting it.

OK, this is long enough..

Any one have any ideas as I am plumb out of them.

Lee