[X4U] Why is my DVD Capacity so small?

John Erdman jperdman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:22:51 PST 2011

Progress but I don't know why.

The first time I tried ImgBurn the creation of the disk image went well, but when I went to write it to a new disk, the available space on the new disk was only about 1.55 GB. The write aborted as I reported earlier.

I was trying to respond to a question about ow much space was available. I couldn't remember exactly so I stuck another new disk in the drive... And wonder of wonders, the data on this new disk indicated that there was a full 4.7 GB of space available.  So I tried burning it again.  Et voilå, next thing I knew, I got a message that said  that my disk was written successfully.   And then I rushed down to the DVD player on my TV, it proved to be a fully functioning backup copy.  Perfect images and sound too.

So maybe I'm having a Sony DVD disk problem like the one Dennis C mentioned.   I guess next shopping trip I'll pick up a brand of disk other than Sony for some experiments.

Again, thanks to all for your help
John