[X4U] No PowerPC Apps Will Run Under Lion!

Michael Burton michaelburton at brainrow.com
Mon Feb 28 15:37:30 PST 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Robert Ameeti responded to my Applescript to find PPC-only programs:

> Why suggest a quick-n-dirty AppleScript that won't look everywhere, and that some may question what it might 'do' to their computer. (AppleScripts can 'do' things and if an AppleScript 'does' something that we really didn't want it to do, we have a reason to be upset)
>
> Rather use the always ready, always available, 'About The Mac' in the upper left corner of every window. Then press the More Info... and select the Applications item within the Software group. Everyone will easily be able to trust that this method won't 'do' anything but tell you the names, version, and kind of applications on their drive. And it looks everywhere!

That's a good thought. I hadn't realized that System Profiler displayed the code type -- in fact, I couldn't see it until I resized the window and dragged some column dividers, but it's clearly a better way to identify all PowerPC programs.

I hope nobody was concerned that my Applescript was malicious. I thought that posting the text of the script and allowing everyone to see for themselves exactly what it's doing would let people run it with confidence.

--
Michael Burton     michaelburton at brainrow.com     (614) 263-7948
Home Page (rarely updated) : http://pathetic.brainrow.com/