[X4U] Seagate 1 TB hard drive issue not loading on desktop...

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 18:24:17 PST 2011

On 1/25/11, cat soul <catsoul at thinkplan.org> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 12:20 PM, John Baltutis wrote:
>>On 1/23/11, LAL <lalicata at alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>>> I will NEVER, EVER, REALLY never buy a seagate USB portable drive
>>> probably never buy a seagate drive again.
>>>
>>> Could NOT get it to work, so I am giving it away...............
>>>
>>> Please learn from my experience, buyer beware, and research....
>>
>> What did Seagate's support say? BTW, I only buy and use FWHD externals.
>
> I'd add and expand on this. I will never buy a "consumer" external
> drive again, FW, USB, Seagate or whoever. They are, simply, designed
> to be disposible.
>
> I have had 5 seagate "pro" externals, the ones with the wraparound
> orange lights. One by one they've started to go. 3 years old or less.
>
> when I wanted to defeat the default "Sleep" setting, Seagate told me
> that I needed a PC to do it, that there were no tools to turn off
> that setting on a Mac.
>
> It is way past time for manufacturers to get over that Mac
> marginalization malarkey...I'd say about 14 years past time.

I forgot to mention that I won't buy any ext HD that proprietary "sleep"
crapola installed, especially stuff that can't be readily removed by the Mac
OS. That rules out some current Seagates and most WD HDs. I prefer to roll my
own using Macally enclosures and bare HDs. FWIW, I've only had one HD go bad in
over twelve years. The ones I put into my G4 450 MP nine years ago are still
going strong.