[X4U] Scanning slides

Bernard Munter bmunter at netspace.net.au
Sat Jan 29 17:19:33 PST 2011

On 30/01/11 101916, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> At 3:03 PM -0800 1/29/11, Al Grappone wrote:
>> In process of scanning slides. After scanning I use Photoshop
>> Elements 3 to batch enhance. Some are still too dark. I tried using
>> adjusting copy and moving sliders. When i am finished they are worse
>> than original. What is the procedure for using the sliders? Is there
>> a reasonable app out there for novices like me to adjust the picture?
>
> Thanks to upgrading to a new Mac Pro which runs 10.6 I had to replace my
> scanner software as EpsonScan for the old Epson 2450 I'm using won't run on
> 10.6.  There might also be issues with the Nikon scanner software for the
> Nikon Coolscan IV ED I use.  Anyway, I purchased a license for VueScan and am
> really liking the results I get.  Just before I upgraded I was trying to scan
> a roll of 120 Fuji Velvia 50 slide film I shot last August.  I wasn't happy
> with the results I was getting with EpsonScan.  I ended up rescanning the
> whole roll with VueScan, and got great results.
>
> I'm not sure what Photoshop Elements 3 is capable of, but one trick I had to
> use a lot prior to switching to VueScan was to add a Levels layer, and tweak
> the histogram.
>
> Zane

Adding to this, I use an Epson V700 and check the histogram in the scanning
software (Epson) interface after the 'preview' and prior to the actual scan.
That way there is less mangling of levels in Photoshop, resulting in
banding, etc.

I usually do a final Levels tweak of levels post-scan, but the adjustment is
usually minor. I'm still on 10.5, so YMMV. I've never used VueScan, but I'd
assume it has a histogram adjustment interface.

Getting a 'good' initial scan is key to success.