[X4U] Scanning slides

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jan 29 22:56:31 PST 2011

At 12:19 PM +1100 1/30/11, Bernard Munter wrote:
>Adding to this, I use an Epson V700 and check the histogram in the scanning
>software (Epson) interface after the 'preview' and prior to the actual scan.
>That way there is less mangling of levels in Photoshop, resulting in
>banding, etc.
>
>I usually do a final Levels tweak of levels post-scan, but the adjustment is
>usually minor. I'm still on 10.5, so YMMV. I've never used VueScan, but I'd
>assume it has a histogram adjustment interface.
>
>Getting a 'good' initial scan is key to success.

I never had a lot of luck with the histogram on EpsonScan for my
Epson 2400 or 2450.  Even when I appear to have a good one, once I
get it into Photoshop I typically need to adjust the levels.  On
VueScan I hadn't even figured out how to display it (you got me
thinking and I think I've found it), but I get good solid scans with
a good histogram when I open it in Lightroom or Photoshop.  I've
barely used VueScan with the 2450, but have scanned a lot of 35mm
using the Nikon Coolscan IV ED and VueScan.  I highly recommend it,
you can download a fully functional demo, that puts watermarks on
your scans and give it a try if you want.

With a V700 you'll be able to continue using EpsonScan.  The 2400 and
2450 are so old that they dropped support with 10.6.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |