[X4U] Scanning slides

Bernard Munter bmunter at netspace.net.au
Sun Jan 30 02:38:32 PST 2011

On 30/01/11 175631, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> At 12:19 PM +1100 1/30/11, Bernard Munter wrote:

>> Getting a 'good' initial scan is key to success.
>
> I never had a lot of luck with the histogram on EpsonScan for my Epson 2400 or
> 2450.  Even when I appear to have a good one, once I get it into Photoshop I
> typically need to adjust the levels.

You are quite correct in this. I did say I re-check the histogram in
Photoshop. But the amount of Photoshop correction needed is less when I have
done a quick levels check on the preview in Epson's software, so the scan
has captured _most_ of what is on the print or film. If I wasn't as obsessed
with my scans looking 'zippy' it probably wouldn't matter!

> On VueScan I hadn't even figured out how to display it (you got me thinking
> and I think I've found it), but I get good solid scans with a good histogram
> when I open it in Lightroom or Photoshop.

That's good!

> I've barely used VueScan with the 2450, but have scanned a lot of 35mm using
> the Nikon Coolscan IV ED and VueScan.  I highly recommend it, you can download
> a fully functional demo, that puts watermarks on your scans and give it a try
> if you want.

Colour me tempted. The Epson software is, well, a bit clunky to say the
least. The TWAIN interface or whatever leaves my Preferences folder full of
junk I have to delete manually. Something makes the scanner 'lock up' after
a while and I have to unplug the I/O connection (Firewire or USB) and
power-cycle the V700 to get the thing to work again. If I forget, and have
to re-boot the computer (Intel iMac) all hell breaks loose until I remember
to disconnect the scanner from the computer.

It _could_ be a hardware problem in the scanner, but VueScan might be more
friendly to my system. Sorry to vent.

Thanks!