[X4U] Scanning slides

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 30 09:45:35 PST 2011

At 9:38 PM +1100 1/30/11, Bernard Munter wrote:
>Colour me tempted. The Epson software is, well, a bit clunky to say the
>least. The TWAIN interface or whatever leaves my Preferences folder full of
>junk I have to delete manually. Something makes the scanner 'lock up' after
>a while and I have to unplug the I/O connection (Firewire or USB) and
>power-cycle the V700 to get the thing to work again. If I forget, and have
>to re-boot the computer (Intel iMac) all hell breaks loose until I remember
>to disconnect the scanner from the computer.
>
>It _could_ be a hardware problem in the scanner, but VueScan might be more
>friendly to my system. Sorry to vent.

With your mention of Firewire, you remind me of one issue I've had
since switching to 10.6 and VueScan.  I couldn't get my Epson 2450 to
work via the FireWire interface, I'm having to use the USB
connection. :-(

I had the same problem you're describing with the scanner locking up
with my 2450.  However since switching to VueScan I've started using
the Nikon Coolscan for 35mm, so haven't done more than a dozen scans
with the 2450, so I'm not sure if VueScan cures the problem or not.

I don't have any issues with having the 2450 hooked up while
rebooting, though it's typically powered off.

I'd like to try Silverscan since it's supposed to be the best, but
won't even consider it until I get an Epson V7x0 series scanner (I
keep hoping they'll bring out a new model, so have avoided buying a
new scanner).  With the combo of the Nikon Coolscan and the Epson
2450 I can handle everything I'm currently shooting (35mm, 120
(square), and 4x5), but I'm getting ready to start shooting 8x10, so
will need something like the V700 or V750-M.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |