[X4U] Old vs New Apple TV vs alternatives

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 24 17:21:55 PDT 2012

Just to update you - in case you're interested in this thread...

I finally purchased the new AppleTV (v3) and then got a refurb 2TB Time capsule. I'll use the TimeCap built-in drive for family Mac backups and I've plugged my 2TB Mac formatted "Home Videos" hard drive into the USB port on the TimeCap so all the devices in the house can see it.

As mentioned, I have an old 17" G4 laptop which can't properly play my 720p and 1080p video files (too many stutters and freezes during playback) BUT, I'm now using it as my "media centre" by running all of the videos through iTunes on the G4. I'm guessing that the AppleTV is simply having the video files sent to the AppleTV, where they are then decoded and played (a task the AppleTV is well capable of doing).

So I have my videos and music sorted but unfortunately I can't play my home photos through the G4 as the family Macs have iPhoto v9 and the laptop can only go as high as OS10.5 and iPhoto9 requires at least 10.6.

I'm now waiting for the AppleTV v3 to get jailbreaked so I can then install "aTV Flash" by fireCore (extends AppleTV functionality, like being able to directly access files off a NAS drive (ie. NO iTunes required) and wider video file formats accepted) but they say hacking AppleTV3 is not going to be easy so it may be a long wait!

Anyway, this may be helpful to someone so I thought I'd share...

Cheers,

Cojcolds