[X4U] NAS Drive Recommendations

LISTS jwarthmanlists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:48:55 PDT 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Neil Laubenthal <neil at laubenthal.net> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2012, at 2:29 PM,4/26, Joe Sporleder wrote:
>>

>> Yep, I already make regular backups for offsite and other reasons, and that wouldn't change if we moved our AFP to a NAS.
>>

> I've looked at this several times and every time keep coming back to the conclusion that using standard FW drives without RAID and just using 2 of them with a daily or weekly rsync or CarbonCopyCloner or something duplication setup is way cheaper than any of the NAS solutions…particularly when you consider that another drive will be needed fro backup anyway.

Neil,
I agree, assuming you can get the needed capacity and performance with standard FW drives.

My only suggestion was, if the NAS is used as a file server, Joe should still have backups to a separate device. For instance, the ReadyNAS supports rsynch over the LAN or across the Internet, so you can back up your NAS to another, remotely located NAS if you like. Depending upon the NAS model, it also suports rsynch over SSH so your data is encrypted as it transits the network.

Enjoy!

Jim