[X4U] NAS Drive Recommendations

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Thu Apr 26 14:08:31 PDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 3:48 PM,4/26, LISTS wrote:

> I agree, assuming you can get the needed capacity and performance with standard FW drives.
>
> My only suggestion was, if the NAS is used as a file server, Joe should still have backups to a separate device.

Yeah, saw that but figured a comment on the whole NAS vs drives issue might be worthwhile. If you've got a spare Mac already; hanging drives off of it is a whole lot cheaper than buying a NAS.

Even for a business where cost isn't as big a deal it's not real obvious that a NAS (and associated backup NAS or drives or whatever) is really any better for the purpose than drives shared off of a Mini and the latter is lots cheaper.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil