[X4U] Old vs New Apple TV vs alternatives

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 7 04:39:53 PST 2012

Hmmm, was my description too long? Yes, I think it was too long... scared you all off from reading it right? Mum always said I talk too much and people won't wanna listen.... ;-D

Since my last post I've borrowed a friend's old Apple TV to test, but have just learned that the USB port on the back isn't for connecting hard drives - nobody seemed to know exactly what it's there for. I also learned tonight that you can connect a HD directly to your airport extreme, but I have the flying saucer variety and apparently it doesn't support disk sharing... only the 802.11n varieties do.

...rock-and-hard-place everywhere I turn, it seems! <big sigh>

Coj