[X4U] Permissions, Networking and Lion

jetlag11 at mac.com jetlag11 at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 12:43:45 PST 2012

I'm running up-to=date versions of Snow Leopard on a early-Intel Macbook and Lion on a newish MacMini. Each machine has a different user name -- I don't know if this is relevant.

My goal is to copy files back & forth between the two machines. I'd be perfectly happy if all files & folders in each of the respective Document folders were universally set at read & write for everyone.

The problem is that I can't move files between machines without using a administrator's password over the network. It gets tiresome. I can't fix this.

When I set permissions on a file on one machine to everyone, staff, and owner R&W, and copy it to the other using a flash stick as an intermediary, a "custom" permission is created. This I can change as an ordinary user.

But those damn custom permissions repeatedly pop up.

There is also a real weird problem: If I am on the Lion Mac, with the MB networked, and move a file to the MB, the file will apparently move but it will be zero length. Still on Lion, I seemingly can delete the zero length file on the MB. But when I repeat the file move, I am told the file already exists on the MB, do I want to replace it or keep both copies. Either way, it silently will copy multiple copies of the file - all zero length - to the MB. When I caught the problem, it had created over 40,000 empty copies! Not funny - it takes a finite time to delete all those copies.

The bottom line is that sitting on the Lion Mini, I can't copy a file to the networked MB, and dragging a file from the remote MB will require an administrator's password but still won't work.

Sitting at the MB, I can't connect because none of my passwords work.

B. L., this all used to be seamless (Before Lion). I had no problems between two Snow Leopard machines. Lion screwed it up!

I installed the latest dot release of Lion - it was supposed to improve Windows networking, but no joy.

Repairing permissions found & fixed some system files, but nothing that looked relevant.

Any guidance on Snow Leopard & Lion on the same network?

John