[X4U] Snow Leopard: how much room?

John French jfrench1 at flash.net
Tue Jan 17 20:32:35 PST 2012

>>... Are there any authoritative estimates of how large I should
>>make [a] Snow Leopard partition? ....

Ron Steinke replied:

>You haven't said how large your drive is. How can we give you an
>answer without sufficient information?

The information is quite sufficient. What difference would it make if
my drive were 250 GB or 2 TB? Nothing in the size of the drive has
anything to do with determining the smallest disk partition that can
comfortably accommodate Mac OS X 10.6.x.

>My installation procedure was to divide my internal drive into two
>partitions of equal size. You might want to consider the same
>especially if you want to continue to use programs that Lion won't
>allow to run.

Trust me, I won't bother the list if the problem I'm facing is
nothing more than how to divide by two. :-) Again, I'm looking for
the smallest partition from which Snow Leopard can run without
problems; nothing more. This is not a partition whose contents will
grow over time, so even allowing for significant expansion is
unnecessary.

Onward,
john